Student Profile: Tara Nealon ’15

My mom told me to talk to Uncle Ernie, said Tara Nealon, senior mechanical engineering major and student commencement speaker for the Engineering School.

While initially discovering the field of engineering, Nealon remembered that her uncle designed central air conditioners for Carrier Co.

“I always took it for granted,” Nealon said. “I never thought about how much engineering goes into everything – until I came here.”

Her conversation with Uncle Ernie sure seemed to stick, as the recognized academic and prominent track and field athlete is now in pursuit of her PhD from Princeton University in Fall 2015.

rp_primary_nealon_webEntering the College as a computer engineering major, Nealon discovered her passion for mechanical engineering through her Fundamentals of Engineering Design course. Though Nealon admired the computer aspect, she’s glad she’s made the switch to mechanical engineering.

“I really liked what we were learning,” Nealon said. “Now, I’m even pursuing my PhD – obviously it’s been a good choice. I’m happy.”

Before her interests in computer or mechanical engineering, for the “longest time”, Nealon said, she wanted to pursue English and History. Yet, that dream abruptly halted during her junior year of high school at Howell High School, part of Freehold Regional High School District, NJ.

“…I took AP Literature and hated it,” Nealon said. “Analyzing literature, symbolism – no way I could do it. Being an English major – can’t see myself doing it.”

However, Nealon had not abandoned her English interests. “I like reading for fun, which is weird for an engineer,” Nealon said. “I get that all the time.”

Veering off her once-desired English path, Nealon decided to enroll in upper level math courses offered at her school. After realizing how much she enjoyed her math courses, it was Nealon’s mother that suggested, “there is always engineering.”

Nealon’s high school teacher recommended a competitive engineering summer camp that required admission through application. Nealon attended Rutgers University’s summer engineering camp, New Jersey Governor’s School of Engineering and Technology.

“After that, I loved that camp,” Nealon said. “After that, I just knew.”

Nealon returned to Camp during her freshman and sophomore years of College as first, a counselor, and then, head counselor.

“I worked with high school students and did activities related to engineering,” Nealon said. “It was a lot of fun. I think I had more fun than the students sometimes.”

Nealon wishes to continue teaching and sharing her engineering knowledge by ultimately becoming a college professor.

“I want to be a professor in the long run – you need your PhD to do that,” Nealon said.

In Summer 2014, Nealon conducted research on windmill fluid mechanics and green energy at Rutgers University’s Green Energy Technology Undergraduate Program (GETUP).

“. I’ve always been interested since taking Thermodynamics [at the College],” Nealon said. “When I found that research opportunity, I was really happy.”

Originally, Nealon anticipated not enjoying thermodynamics because she didn’t like Chemistry.

“It was Professor Barnes,” Nealon said, referring to the mechanical engineering adjunct professor at the College. “He’s an amazing professor. He made me really love the subject matter.” After her class with Barnes, Nealon “loved every other thermo class.”

Through earning her PhD in Mechanical Engineering at Princeton University, Nealon will continue her research of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.

Princeton University was the best fit for the graduating senior because of the school’s overall impressive package, including the campus’ possession of the western hemisphere’s largest wind tunnel.

“I liked everything that they had to offer,” Nealon said. “The faculty members seemed really down to earth and excited.”

To Nealon, another benefit of choosing Princeton was only being forty minutes away from her home.

“It was the closest school I applied to,” Nealon said. “I’ll be close to my family, which is a really big deal to me.”

Nealon expressed that her entire family was ecstatic when they learned she’d be speaking at graduation. Her only sister, pursing her own PhD in Veterinary Science in Colorado, is making the long trip back to Jersey for her graduation.

“I’m excited – I haven’t seen her since Christmas,” Nealon said.

Through her Rutgers-alumna older sister and years of summer camp experience, Nealon knew “everything about Rutgers.” Yet, she chose to attend the College for her undergraduate education.

“I wanted a small school. I knew that for a fact,” Nealon said. “I talked to people at Armstrong and the people seemed so excited with what they were doing.”

Since she considers herself an “excited, happy person”, Nealon knew the College would be a nice complement.

“The best thing about TCNJ engineering is the Senior project,” Nealon said. “Everything I’ve been learning for four years was put to work. It was wonderful – by far my favorite experience.”

IMG_0213-540x325The Senior project is so rewarding because “you actually get to really build things,” Nealon said.  Engineering is especially rewarding for students who enjoy putting their math and science skills to use, according to Nealon.

“I like to see, ‘Why am I learning this?’” Nealon said. “The curves on the backs of chairs, the thickness of it… it makes you just aware.”

Nealon hopes to convey her passion for engineering in her commencement speech.

The goal of the speech is for students to take something away with them when they graduate, Nealon said. Nealon’s commencement speech will not tell students what and what not to do post-graduation, since she too is taking that big next step along with her peers.

“So, I can’t tell them what it’s going to be like after they graduate,” Nealon said. “I’m…trying to give advice for how to do your best.”

Nealon said she would support her classmates by expressing to them, “what has worked so far and how to make it work.”

Even if she can’t predict for certain what will happen next, Nealon has a clear image of her future.

“I want to have a family and be happy and do engineering,” Nealon said. “I want to be a mom and would love to be able to work and be a professor.”

According to Nealon, the world is always going to need thermo engineers, such as her Uncle Ernie. Nealon will work hard to pursue and achieve her academic, as well as personal life goals.

“I love what I’m doing now,” Nealon said. “That’s what you do when you love things- you make it work.”

Contact

Armstrong Hall, Room 165
The College of New Jersey
P.O. Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628

609.771.2538
engineer@tcnj.edu

Engineering Summer Camps for High School StudentsLearn More
+