Alumni Spotlight: 7 Questions with Dave Wysocki ’09

“You will be challenged but when you graduate, you will be ready to start your career and take on any issues that may arise.”

Dave Wysocki, P.E., Senior Engineer of T.Y. Lin International, was awarded PESMC’s [Professional Engineers Society of Mercer County] Young Engineer of the Year. The 55th annual awards banquet took place in the Mercer Oaks Banquet Facility in West Windsor, N.J. on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015.

Wysocki, who graduated from the College in 2009 with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, has contributed to several projects in New Jersey such as Garden State Parkway Facilities Improvement and New Jersey Turnpike Widening. He continues to volunteer at the College as an alumni mentor to undergraduate engineering students.

Wysocki Award1.  What led to this award with PESMC?

I have been a part of the [PESMC] for about 3 years now. I became more active in the society last year serving as a Chapter Trustee. I am currently the Chapter  Secretary. The PESMC holds an awards banquet every year and takes nominations for various awards. A coworker of mine submitted my name, my resume, a summary of the projects and tasks I have worked on the past year along with what must have been a strong recommendation. The awards committee went through all the nominations and selected me as the Young Engineer of the Year.

2. In what ways has your TCNJ experience had an impact on your career and who you are today?

TCNJ provided such a challenging curriculum that provided me [with] a strong background in all aspects of engineering. It also taught me how to problem solve so in my career I feel that there is no single task I can’t find a way to solve.

3. What are you passionate about in your work?

I am passionate about making a difference in the transportation industry by working hard and putting out good work.

4. How do you support TCNJ School of Engineering now?  Why is it important to support the School of Engineering?

I serve as a mentor for the School of Engineering Alumni Mentoring Program. It is important to support the School of Engineering because it is a great school that accepts only the brightest students in the area. I feel it is important to support the School of Engineering because these are the students that will be future project managers and leader of companies who will be designing our future. The School of Engineering also provided me the tools I needed start a successful career so I am happy to give back any way I can.

5. What is one of your favorite things about your job?

One of my favorite things about my job as a civil engineer is being able to see the finished product and knowing my work made a difference. A large, high profile job I worked on is Interchange 8 of the New Jersey Turnpike Widening Project. Going to high school in the Hightstown area I was able to see the difficulty maneuvering and congestion involved with the Turnpike Interchange, Route 33 and Route 133. Now that the Interchange has been completely refigured, access to and from the Turnpike from all directions is a breeze and is something I am definitely proud to have helped design.

6. Do you have a favorite or funny story about your time at TCNJ?

I met my wife on moving day of Freshman Year. Her room was three doors down from mine. We became friends immediately and the rest is history.

7. What would you say to a prospective student who is considering TCNJ?

I would say that TCNJ is a great all around school. It is top notch academically, it’s a beautiful campus, and you will meet wonderful people who you will be friends with for the rest of your life. You will be challenged but when you graduate, you will be ready to start your career and take on any issues that may arise.

Contact

Armstrong Hall, Room 165
The College of New Jersey
P.O. Box 7718
2000 Pennington Rd.
Ewing, NJ 08628

609.771.2538
engineer@tcnj.edu

Engineering Summer Camps for High School StudentsLearn More
+